Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
Dipper's Real Name
Haluwasa2
Gnome

deviantART Tumblr YouTube
Lightbulb Dipper's Real Name

And holy moly here I go!

As soon as I found out that Dipper was only a nickname, I immediately assumed that his name might be Stan (named for his Great Uncle, whom his parents must trust to leave their kids with for the whole summer) and that the Stan is not what he seems in the opening may apply to him if this is so. In the episode "Irrational Treasure", Quentin Trembley called Dipper "Roderick", but it was never said onscreen from someone who might know (Stan, Dipper, Mabel, Soos, Wendy) what it actually was. Dipper also seems to go to correct the 8th and a Half President when he calls Dipper Roderick. (He could have been asking to be called Dipper, we don't actually know and nothing has been confirmed.) So is Dipper really the one who is not what he seems? Or his name (seemingly) harmless? What do you guys think?

Lub So one day I was sitting in class and I thought I should write TransformersXGravity Falls Crossover...yeahLub
09-11-2012 02:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DipperPines
Ducktective

RE: Dipper's Real Name

Sorry, I cant tell u what my real name is... :D Just joking. I dint know what his real name is, I have even looked it up.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 11:15 PM by DipperPines.)
09-11-2012 02:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kitsune Inferno
Shmebulock

Facebook

Disregarding external sources, when is it ever stated that Dipper is a nickname, outside of Wendy's comment in Episode 7? If there are external sources that confirm it's a nickname, then my point is moot, but Dipper's always referred to himself as Dipper. ("My name is Dipper") I'm not saying we should disregard Wendy's comment, but the rest of the line implies that Dipper is a given name and not a nickname, ("I thought your parents just hated you.") while it can also be an assumption on Wendy's part that Dipper is a nickname.

My point is, unless this has been stated outside of the show by the creators, we've only got one thing to go on that implies that Dipper is a nickname, and it's a throwaway comment. Not saying Dipper IS his first name, I just don't think it's been brought up enough within the show to say with certainty that Dipper is a nick name...
09-11-2012 10:53 AM
hikashu
Gnome

In the latest episode, when Dipper is given three digits to sign his name (for leaderboards after a victory lol), he signs it DIP.

DIP could either be short for Dipper, or it could be his initials, D. I. Pines. What D and I stand for are a mystery, though.

[Image: aigis_sig_by_ap0kalypse-d49hyl2.png]
I will burn my dread...
09-11-2012 03:21 PM
Haluwasa2
Gnome

I can definitely respect what you've said, but I check the wiki and it does confirm that Dipper is his nickiname, but nice idea.

Lub So one day I was sitting in class and I thought I should write TransformersXGravity Falls Crossover...yeahLub
09-11-2012 10:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mst3kei
Shmebulock

(09-11-2012 10:35 PM)Haluwasa2 Wrote:  I can definitely respect what you've said, but I check the wiki and it does confirm that Dipper is his nickiname, but nice idea.

To be fair, an open-edit, fan-operated wiki shouldn't be considered "confirming."

09-12-2012 01:56 AM
Fitz
Gnome

deviantART Facebook Tumblr Twitter YouTube

If his parents would leave him and his sister with Stan, I wouldn't be shocked if they named one of their kids Dipper.

[Image: tumblr_m7pc2ldQIA1qbg2u0o4_250.gif]
09-12-2012 10:20 AM
DipperPines
Ducktective

(09-11-2012 10:53 AM)Kitsune Inferno Wrote:  Disregarding external sources, when is it ever stated that Dipper is a nickname, outside of Wendy's comment in Episode 7? If there are external sources that confirm it's a nickname, then my point is moot, but Dipper's always referred to himself as Dipper. ("My name is Dipper") I'm not saying we should disregard Wendy's comment, but the rest of the line implies that Dipper is a given name and not a nickname, ("I thought your parents just hated you.") while it can also be an assumption on Wendy's part that Dipper is a nickname.

My point is, unless this has been stated outside of the show by the creators, we've only got one thing to go on that implies that Dipper is a nickname, and it's a throwaway comment. Not saying Dipper IS his first name, I just don't think it's been brought up enough within the show to say with certainty that Dipper is a nick name...

Dipper doesn't sound anything like a real name. It has to be a nickname.

09-12-2012 11:13 PM
Haluwasa2
Gnome

mst3kei Wrote:To be fair, an open-edit, fan-operated wiki shouldn't be considered "confirming."

To many, fan run wikis may not seem trustworthy, but as a fan of many fandoms with many wikis, usually fans tend to keep it from having faked trash, but I do understand your mistrust of it.

09-15-2012 04:33 AM
Feyrah
Gnome Queen

deviantART Tumblr Twitter YouTube

(09-11-2012 10:35 PM)Haluwasa2 Wrote:  I can definitely respect what you've said, but I check the wiki and it does confirm that Dipper is his nickiname, but nice idea.

And where should they have gotten that information? There was never any clear indication whether he has a nickname or not. "I thought your parents hated you or something" could either mean
"Oh, it's just a nickname, I thought your parents hated you or something" or
"Oh, so they had a reason to name you this, I thought your parents hated you or something"
09-15-2012 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)