Planned changes + next update scheduling
Hey everyone! We've been planning a lot of changes over the last few weeks, and will be gearing up to actually make the updates relatively soon.

There isn't currently a date scheduled, but we're aiming to get everything done next weekend (Dec 23-25 -- just in time for Christmas). Please be aware that, while we're making the changes, the forum will be offline. This will not take up more than a few hours, and we'll let you know in advance at least a day in advance.
As soon as the team has decided on a date, I'll update this topic and make a new post to let everyone know.

Here are the changes we plan to make. If you disagree with any of them or want more information about what'll happen, please say so. The original suggestion topics are linked in this list.
  • Update the forum version. - discussion
    Our forum software is over a year out of date. We'll be updating to the most recent MyBB version, which will increase our security, fix some bugs, and may alter the forum appearance slightly. (The images and colors will stay the same, but borders may be rounder, and there may be slightly more space in between posts.)
  • Fix email verification.
    Some users have had trouble receiving emails from the website, but we'll be changing the email setup so that hopefully all emailed can be sent and received without issue.
  • Add nightmode. - discussion
    We will add an optional dark skin for those who think the current layout is too bright. This will not be a default skin, and will not interfere with the current appearance in any way. You will be able to choose whether to use the default or nightmode skin.
    We will also add a darker version of the mobile skin for night owl mobile users.
  • Add a WYSIWYG editor. - discussion
    This will allow users to view their posts with additional formatting without hitting preview. So, instead of having to look at the "[ b ] your text here [ / b ]" coding while writing your posts, you will see them bolded and all. Essentially a built-in preview function. You will have the option to view formatting code if you choose to.
  • Add scaling to forum width. - discussion
    Read this post for info on scaling.
  • Increase image limit in posts from 2 to 5. - discussion
  • Remove character limit in Usergames section. - discussion
  • Remove the thread ratings system. - discussion

That's all! If there's anything else you want to see happen in this update, please reply about it or make a suggestion thread. Or, if you think that any of the changes listed above shouldn't be made, we can discuss that too.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
Wonderful to hear. One question, will updating the forum's version fix the frequent format issues that happen on the forum? If not, will any work be done to fix them afterwards?

Also, would it be possible to remove the "Forum" button at the top of the Shack, under the banner? Since the main page of the forum is what you are automatically shown, and there is already two other ways to get to it (forum navigation and banner), it's useless to have, even if it's small.
Yo #teens! While you're out there gettin rad remember that your death is 100% inevitable & all life is meaningless, bae.✌

(12-14-2016, 02:08 AM)ICouldntThinkOfAName Wrote: One question, will updating the forum's version fix the frequent format issues that happen on the forum? If not, will any work be done to fix them afterwards?

Quoting auto-scaled down images and user titles that stretch the page should be fixed, but I can't guarantee it. If it's still an issue, we'll work on finding a solution, but it will most likely not be do-able in the same weekend. However, I don't expect it to be a problem.

(12-14-2016, 02:08 AM)ICouldntThinkOfAName Wrote: Also, would it be possible to remove the "Forum" button at the top of the Shack, under the banner?

Yeah, we can do that. I made a topic for discussion of otherwise cleaning up the navigation menu here, take a look if there are other buttons there that you think are unnecessary.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
Oh that's great, finally an attempt to fix most of the issues the forum software has.

I wish you good luck.
Hey everyone! Can confirm that we will be starting the updates tomorrow, December 24. Hopefully everything will be finished on the same day, but it's possible that we will have to wait a little longer.

Please note, the site will be offline for a few hours on the 24th.

We will also be removing the Gallery button from the navigation menu as part of the updates, as it is unnecessary because of Mabel's Creativity Corner, and permissions for it are currently set so that no one can upload.
not a ship
Uhm, it would've been nice if you discussed that with me beforehand, I'll be pretty busy tommorow, so I probably won't be able to be online for most of the day.
oh funk gotta dronk my honk
Um, Seeker, we did speak to you about this, remember?

Anyway, I'll try to make sure I can be here for most of it. Family's coming over tomorrow for Christmas' Eve so I might not be present half the time.
“Ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin. And there are many things that don't really end, anyway, they just begin again in a new way. Ends are not bad and many ends aren't really an ending; some things are never-ending.” ― C. JoyBell C.
[Image: Sig.gif]
I think there was just an error in communication as I was also under the impression that we'd discussed with you about this a couple weeks ago but that must've gotten mixed up with banner discussion. It being a busy time of year I guess also didn't help but sorry all the same.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
Yes we talked about doing this during the holidays, but not specifically on Christmas.
oh funk gotta dronk my honk
"Dec 23-25" was specified in the draft I sent to you...
not a ship